Move over Monday
After an emotional Friday, I was ready to have a calm week in my new cube. My boyfriend, Johnny Dilettante, was very sweet and gave me a tulip plant for my office. The bright yellow flowers were a warm addition to my rather dreary, corporate cubicle. And I knew then, it was going to be a good week.
Off to the campus I go, tulips in tow. It is only when I entered my office I realized...I gotta unpack! Now, I didnt mind packing my office. I am actually a very good packer. I love figuring out how much stuff I can cram inside this little space. Maybe that is why I work for UPS? hmmm.
Actually, I have been packing all my life--every 6 months from the age of 8 to 18 and then almost every year after that. So alot of packing going on.
BUT, unpacking is another story. I moved into my house nearly two years ago. I still have boxes in the basement waiting to see the light of day. Makes you wonder why I actually have that stuff since I have obviously continued to live without it.
But I dont know if I can let go of the stuffed buzzard won at six flags 20 years ago and the printed samples of work I did for the Olympics...it might be worth something one day...maybe even considered a rare artifact.
I know I cant live without my Olympic uniform, my UPS uniform or my maid of honor dress from my sister's wedding--it was peach taffeta with puffy sleeves, a cinderella neck and t-length hem. I still have the matching shoes too.
I totally need the shoes that I wore across paris and the ones that walked the streets of Sydney...regardless of the fact that they are out of style and smell funny.
I have piles of "songs" that I made up on the bus ride to my sixth grade "experimental" school..Progress Village. I have notes folded in the shape of small animals that tell me Bobby Floyd likes me and wants to ask me out. I have matches and magnets from every city I have visited...Why do I keep this stuff?
Maybe its because I dont have kids...this is my "paper trail of life" so when I get old I can tell someone that I danced with Madonna in these purple short shorts and Keith Haring kissed this black glove with the rolly glued-on eyeballs.
I hold out hope that one of my neices will appreciate her eccentric aunt trixie and want to wear her circa 1990 black fringe mini dress and the 1985 purple platform shoes with my favorite yellow wig. I think that's hot!
But I digress. I dont like to unpack. It's just too much to decide where to put everything.
Ofcourse my first order of business was to decide how to prominently display my UPS memorabilia collection. As I placed each item on the bookshelf it was with great care and concern...is the package car blocking too much of the driver bobblehead? Is the branded M&M container easily accessible? Can a UPS airplane hover over my military tank like that? dont ask about the tank...its a long story. But like I said...to much to decide.
And then I start to realize, something isnt right, I dont feel complete today....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home